I hope to not only represent in this blog, but I hope this blog goes far because I know I'm speaking for a gang of Brothas who have been at the club just wanting to get their grove on, and it's way too complicated simply beacause the seemingly available Sistas at the club are more comfortable watching the dance floor from the edge of it, rather dance on it...
What really kills me is that it's a DANCE CLUB and I can't help but think, "Why else are you here then?"
And it's not like they just say, "No." It's always:
- "No, not right now." Which really means, "No. And don't look to dance with me later."
- And then there's the smile with a quick hand touch, "No, but thank you."
- And my favorite: She slightly turns her head away as if whatever you said wasn't even worth a response.
Over the years I've cultivated my own responses and approaches for the Sista's too good to dance at the dance club:
1) I look them dead in the eyes to make it that much harder for them to senlessly so, "No."
2) And when she does say, "No" I immediately turn to the girl next to her (friend or not) and ask her if she'd like to dance--you'd be surprised how much this works and kinda clowns her friend for saying "No" in the first place.
3) Then as a last resort, I'll walk aimlessly around the dance floor, pacing past the same women who told me "No," and then I'll get a White girl. For some Black girls, this really bugs them. But hey, they didn't want to dance--remember?
On the flip side, I gotta give a shout out to the brown honeys and other beautiful who are quick to groove with a brotha. It's women like y'all that keep the vibe cool and keep a brotha inspired. And a very special shout to Jeanette... Perhaps if she didn't call from a "restricted number" or just left her number, we woulda' got passed the missed connections. Oh well, thanks for the voice mail!